Monday, February 28, 2011

New Boots

I bought some new cowboy boots yesterday. I use the term "new" loosely as they are only new to me. Wandering through one of my favorite consignment stores, Free Monkey in Salida,Colorado, I spotted this awesome pair of pointy toe ropers in the perfect shade of gray. I love gray for accessories-it goes with everything. Or at least everything I wear. It was an immediate connection. I knew I had to have them.
Grabbing them from their perch I thought the size looked right. Slipped my foot in and Voila! Perfect! How could that be? What luck! And the price was right-$19.99.
All I had to do was get past the slight yuck factor of wearing someone else's boots. But they felt like MY foot had always been in them. So I got over that real quick. And anyway, I wear socks with my boots.
Now I am a Texas girl born and raised. But I haven't owned a pair of cowboy boots in probably thirty years. I'd been thinking recently of getting a pair but they are always so stiff. And the ones I want are so expensive. And I don't want to pay a lot of money for boots that need to be broken in. So another reason these were perfect.
I put them on this morning to drive to the airport and I think there might be some magic in them. I stood taller. Well, duh! They do have heels, something I don't wear on a regular basis. But they gave a little swagger to my walk. And a chance conversation had "y'alls" dripping from my mouth like honey. I do say "y'all", but not with that much of an accent. I smiled at everyone, flipping my long blonde Texas hair. I was a stereotype and loving it.
Now the irony of flying to Colorado and coming home with a pair of cowboy boots is not lost on me. Bella said recently that she's afraid Colorado is "out-Texasing Texas". That's okay. I've got new cowboy boots. Don't care where they came from. Yeehaw!

No comments: